A Beginner's Guide to Local SEO
Most customers are looking for local results when searching for products and services. It means local SEO is key to increasing your website traffic.
With local SEO, you can offer keywords that are more targeted and resonate with your potential customers in the neighbourhood. You will also want to make sure you have a Google My Business account with accurate information and customer reviews. And embed a map of where you are.
Using these tactics and others will help increase your rankings by getting more relevant traffic from those who know you best.
There are many local SEO tips and tricks that can be used to increase your website’s rankings. If you want local customers, local SEO is a must.
Now that local SEO is easily accessible, local businesses can launch their website with local SEO in mind. Most customers are looking for local results when searching for local products and services. It means local SEO is key to increasing your organic website traffic.
How local SEO can help your business rank higher on Google
Local SEO is one of the most important aspects of local business marketing. This can be difficult, as it involves search engine optimization for local customers.
One of the best ways to use local SEO is to optimize the content of your site so it ranks higher on local search engine results. To do this, you should create unique content, increase keyword relevance and local relevance, and provide local contact information. And use city or town-specific business data feeds.
If local SEO is performed correctly, it can improve local rankings for local searches. Local business owners, however, must avoid common local SEO mistakes to ensure their website is high in local search results.
To do this, you should ensure your quotations are complete and coherent. Also, make sure you do not overdo keywords in local business listings. Search engines might penalise your website.
What is local SEO and why should you care about it?
Local SEO is the strategy to localize your website to rank higher on local search engine results pages.
When you localize your website, it is optimized for local customers looking for local businesses and services to meet their needs.
Google has an algorithm that will rank local businesses higher when they have more local citations. These include local business listings and local press coverage.
Common local SEO mistakes to avoid
Your word choice is too generic
Test using longer keyword phrases that are more specific to your industry. Consider, for example, “electricians in Peterborough” instead of “electricians”. It is also important to avoid overdoing it with keywords in these local business listings.
Your local business listings are inconsistent
Make sure your local business listings are consistent across all local citation sites, such as Google My Business, Yelp, and Foursquare. If you have several locations, create unique pages for each location to avoid confusing search engines.
You don’t have a local website
You have to localise your website for local customers. This means localizing and optimizing the content of the website for local customers.
Your local business listings are incomplete
The more complete your local business listing is, the better. Local search engines rank you higher if they can find all your local information in one place. Make sure you include accurate contact details, hours of operation, and addresses on your local business listings or Google My Business account.
You’re not using local citations
Citations are the way search engines rank you in local search results, so make sure you use them correctly! Google will rank you higher if you have more local quotes, such as local business listings and local news coverage.
Best practices for local SEO success
Conduct local research to identify the keywords your customers use in the local market. Consider including local keywords, such as postcodes and counties, for searchers in your area to find you.
Include local content on your website, such as local events and local news, to help you rank higher in local search results. This local content will help Google understand that the searcher is nearby.
Create a local business listing on Google My Business with accurate information and positive reviews from previous customers. Doing this will help increase your local rankings, as local businesses are ranked higher in local search results. Use Mapmaker if you have an offline location to add this information to Google Maps for desktop or mobile devices.
Make sure local searchers can find you in location-based search by optimizing your website for local search. This includes local products and local hours of operation.
Build local links. While any link is helpful, these types of links are especially helpful:
- Local citations from local directories with a keyword-rich meta description of your business.
- A local blog that focuses on local topics to attract local links.
- Post your website on local boards, forums and social media groups. This local content will help local searchers find you when they are looking for products or services provided by local businesses.
- Write guest posts (a blog post on another website) about local events or news about local topics. These local links help local searchers find local results for local topics that can boost your local rankings in local search.
- Submit your website to local awards and listings. Being recognized as a leader in your industry will help increase your local web presence. And it will generate more local links that support your local rankings [do this sparingly].
Local marketing tips that will increase the ranking of your site
- Use local keywords and phrases: Local search engines will favour local businesses.
- Create a Google My Business account: This helps with on-site optimization. It is necessary to have accurate information on your website, customer reviews, and a map of your location.
- Be local: Local consumers want local businesses they trust. Your website should be written with this in mind, which means localizing your content and offering local deals.
- Link back to your website: It is necessary that local directories and other local websites link back to your website. This will help not only with local search ranking, but also offline optimization.
- Add local keywords to the title tag: titles should be short and sweet (less than 60 characters). But local SEO experts recommend adding local keywords to your title tag.
- Optimize your images: Local search engines can crawl your website and local directory to find information about you. It is best to have a description of each image on your site, which will bring you more traffic!
- Be mobile friendly: local mobile searches will notice local search engine results. Make sure your local page is optimized for local mobile searchers.
- Include a local map: It is a good idea to have a local map of your location on your website. It will mean that local consumers can easily find you via their mobile devices.
- Update frequently: Local search engines will favour local pages updated frequently.
- Optimize local landing pages: pros providing local SEO services recommend having local landing pages for each neighbourhood. This will help local consumers find your business more easily, and therefore increase traffic to your website.
- Competing on local keywords: It is a good idea to compete for local keywords in search engine results and local directories.
- Identify local trends: Local SEO experts recommend localizing your website and content to match local tastes. It is a good idea to keep up with local trends, so that you can remain relevant in local search results.
The importance of a map listing on a Google My Business account
It is important to have a map listing in a Google My Business account, as well as reviews from previous customers. People are more likely to buy from local stores, depending on where they live or work.
With local SEO, you can bid on keywords that are more targeted and resonate with your potential local customers. This strategy will give you much better results than any other local SEO strategy out there. If you are a local cat boarding service, local SEO is the strategy for you.
Local search optimization is about ensuring local customers find your business online based on their location. It makes sense, because people searching for local businesses generally use search engines to find what they need quickly and easily.
Why local SEO is important for reaching out to those who know you best!
Reaching local customers is one of the best ways to ensure that you are targeting the right people and getting noticed. Local SEO allows you to bid on keywords that are more targeted and resonate with your potential customers in the neighbourhood.
First of all, local SEO is based on the same principles as search engine optimization (SEO). But it is for local businesses and customers. It’s a fantastic way to ensure your website ranks high in local results, not only organic search results.
One of the best things about local SEO is that it allows you to target specific local SEO keywords.
Another remarkable thing about local SEO is that local customers are more likely to engage with local businesses.
An excellent starting point in planning your local SEO strategy is to get a Google My Business account page. Correct information and reviews from previous customers will help increase your rankings by getting more relevant visitors.
You can use local SEO for every local business, from restaurants and cafes to local cleaners and mechanics. However, it is important to remember that local SEO works best when your business actually has a physical location. If you are an eCommerce website without a physical location, local SEO may not be the best strategy for you.
This is because local search engines like Google prioritize local websites with actual addresses and contact details. Local details will help users get more relevant results when searching for local businesses in their neighbourhood.
Start using local SEO for your local business now
Local SEO is the perfect strategy for local businesses to use when reaching out to local customers. It will help your website rank higher on local search engines like Google and Bing. And it will also allow you to target more specific local keywords relevant for your business.
With local SEO, it’s important that you have an accurate map listing on a Google My Business account. And have reviews from previous customers, to get better results with this strategy. This will help you appear on the local pack on Google.
For some companies without any physical location (such as eCommerce websites), local marketing might not be the best option. This is because these sites can’t include their address or contact information.
Local details would otherwise improve rankings. They provide users with more relevant results when they’re looking for local businesses in their neighbourhood.
Get in touch for local SEO here
Digital Business is a UK-based SEO and content marketing agency with clients in healthcare, manufacturing and home care. We help SMEs who need effective digital business development.
20, Austerby, Bourne, Lincolnshire, PE10 9JG, UK
16, Hereford Road, Southport, Merseyside, PR9 7DX, UK